Reporters Without Borders, in partnership with April International Canada, offers two insurance plans for journalists of all nationalities while on assignment out of their home country. Since this policy has been available from RSF, hundreds of journalists have benefitted from full medical coverage, including travel to war zones and highrisk countries.
The only prerequisite is membership of RSF. The policies apply:
- Round the clock, seven days a week, worldwide
- For any work assignment, short or long term
- Outside your usual country of residence
- Even if you are already on location
Solution 1, Basic Plan
This provides emergency assistance protection and repatriation in cases of medical emergency. Comprehensive coverage is also available, including baggage loss and damage, flight cancellation and personal liability. War risks are covered. Unlike the Extended Plan, this policy does not cover journalists embedded with a military or government unit during their assignment. The Basic Plan is not available to residents of Canada or the United States.
High-risk countries that are excluded from the Basic Plan: Syria, Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan, Israel, the West Bank, Democratic Republic of Congo (Ituri, North Kivu, South Kivu, regions bordering South Sudan and Uganda), Somalia, Yemen, Georgia, and the following regions of the Russian Federation: Chechnya, Dagestan, Ingushetia and North Ossetia. NB the list of excluded countries is subject to change.
Solution 2, Extended Plan
- This plan is available to journalists of any nationality travelling outside their usual country of residence and offers the following additional benefits over and above Solution 1 above:
- Pre-existing conditions are covered, such as asthma and heart problems, if any problems resulting from these occur during your assignment
- Coverage of embedded missions with military or governmental units (land, air or naval)
- Availability of a cash benefit in case of accidental death or dismemberment during a work assignment
- All destinations are covered
- All extreme reporting conditions are covered.
The cost of the Extended Plan varies according to the destination and length of stay. RSF and April International Canada are working continuously to improve the joint insurance scheme.
For further information visit en.rsf.org/ and go to “Safety of Journalists” or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.